Maine Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Coder II â€“ Physician Services â€“ Billing
at Maine Medical Center
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 39710
Categories: Accounting/Auditing, Healthcare - Admin/Office/Records/Finance, Healthcare - Medical & Dental Practitioners
Work Hours: 40
- Position Summary
- Under the general direction of the SMHC Coding Manager, this position is responsible for the accurate assignment of ICD-10-CM, CPT-4, HVPV codes, modifiers and other coding information of diagnoses and procedures for ambulatory medical records in multiple different physician practice/outpatient settings including Surgical Procedures, Diagnostics (Cardiopulmonary), Provider Based Clinics (inclusive of E/M, Coding for both inpatient and outpatient professional procedures), Woman's Health, and other specialty practices such as Oncology or Pain Mgmt. Position includes performing abstracting to determine accuracy and completeness of the ambulatory record, utilizing the 3M Coding Reimbursement and/or Optum Encoder and ECW/Epic EMR systems to compile data. The Coder II evaluates medical necessity and Correct Coding Initiative edits and resolves them accurately. Data reported is used to meet licensure requirements, statistical purposes and reimbursement purposes.
- Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Successful completion of an accredited program through AHIMA or AAPC preferred. Credential required such as , CPC, RHIT, RHIA, CPC-H, CCS, CCA, or CIRCC or specialty coding certification.
- Minimum of three (3) years of multi-specialty, preferably surgical or other diverse or complex coding experience; with CPT/ICD-10 CM/HCPCS/modifier coding for physician professional charges. Required experience coding E/M's, Outpatient Hospital Clinics/Provider Based Practice coding. And evaluation and management coding. Preferred prior experience in, Professional Surgical Coding, cardiology, orthopedics or other specialty coding (physician practice experience).
- Preferred experience interacting with providers, physicians, APPs, practice staff and physician billing
- Demonstrated knowledge of ICD-10-CM, CPT-4 and HCPCS coding guidelines and principles required. Demonstrated knowledge of modifier assignments and usage in physician practice setting.
- Strong ability to apply broad guidelines to specific coding situations, independently, utilizing discretion and a significant level of analytical ability.
- Effective problem solving, analytical skills and written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Skilled at Microsoft office including Outlook, email, Word and Excel. Keyboarding and other office equipment knowledge and prior use required.
- General knowledge of physician billing protocols, regulatory requirements in a hospital provider based practice setting preferred.
- Prior EPIC or similar EMR experience helpful.