Maine Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Coder I - Physician Services - Billing & Collections
at Maine Medical Center
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 41670
Work Hours: 40
**Opportunity to work remotely after successful completion of adaptation period. Still requires minimum of one day per week onsite**
**Shift is flexible between 6:30 AM and 6 PM, but once established cannot be changed without prior manager approval**
- Position Summary
- Under the general direction of the SMHC Physician Practice Coding Manager, this position is responsible for the accurate assignment of ICD-10-CM and CPT-4 coding of diagnoses and procedures for hospital provider based practice and or professional charges including determination of accuracy and completeness of the outpatient record utilizing EPIC, 3M Coding Reimbursement and/or Optum Encoder. Accurate assignment of place of service codes, modifiers and other coding data to ensure accurate claims submission. Reviews documentation and assigns or determines accurate evaluation and management code selection. Typically works with family medicine, internal medicine or Walk In care work queues. Conducts all interactions with patients and personnel in a courteous, respectful manner while maintaining confidentiality. The incumbent is required to conduct all job responsibilities consistent with SMHC policies, procedures and in compliance with all applicable laws or mandates relating to patient care and business activities.
- Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Certification through AAPC or AHIMA require; such as CPC, CCS, RHIT, or specialty coding certification(s)
- One to two (1-2) years’ experience coding in an outpatient or physician practice setting using electronic medical record and encoder. Prior experience using EPIC, 3M Coding and/or Optum Reimbursement encoder preferred.
- Demonstrated, applied knowledge of ICD-10-CM and CPT-4 coding guidelines/ principles and accurate modifier assignment required.
- Ability to apply broad guidelines to specific coding situations, independently utilizing discretion and a significant level of analytical ability.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and email.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and work in a fast pace environment.
- Good understanding of Anatomy and Physiology as well as Pharmacology. Medical terminology or other class work preferred.